Monday 8 February 2016

Harbinger by Request!

So this game was a weekend escape to play our local Cryx player. I was torn between using pSevy/Vindictus/Kreoss2.  After the last few games with Harby I wasn't impressed at her shocking squishiness and against a Cryx force that I knew had lots of arc nodes for spell assassinations, I knew without at least a Devout I was wasting my time. 

However, apparently he has limited experience against her and wanted me to use her, so we came to an agreement where I proxy a Revenger as a Devout and see how it all goes.

Harbinger of Menoth vs. Goreshade, Lord of Ruin (Cryx)
Loss: Assassination (0/4 on scenario)

Lets start with a picture from the very start of the game (the raiders made the first move of the game as I was taking the picture):


My list is a small ish anti-infantry list, not specifically designed to be anti cryx but I hoped it would cause some issues.  It also has 4 jacks and quite a few support solos with the hope of keeping the Errants alive as long as possible.

The cryx I've faced before and last time really struggled with the ghosts and Satixys jamming my Errants and Zealots and forcing everything else to a standstill behind them.  However this time i had two Vanquishers dropping 4 x 4" AoE's of continous fire onto their heads for two turns, I also used the magical crossbows to keep the ghosts away for the first turn or two.

I also remembered to feat at what I feel was the best time (bottom of turn 1), this caused real headaches and meant the cavalry took a proper beating from the feat.  It also gave me time to get a crucial second turn of shooting at full strength before the Cryx blow landed, this changed it from being crippling to average and was a big reason why I had so many models left at the end:

So this is how it looked when the dust had settled, sadly my opponent got the scenario points ticking over early on and I was too busy not breaking formation (and so opening up a hole to be exploited) to contest the flag until it was too late.  In the semi-final Cryx turn he jammed/forced stationary most models resulting in my having to work hard to free a single Errant.  Then I just hoped I could martyr enough damage to keep him alive.

As it was I couldn't and Harby ended up dying martyring (if I hadn't I'd have lost that turn on scenario anyway). 

However if he had survived the whole game would have changed, I had many more guys and would have had a group of 4 charging weaponmasters that would have easily chopped up Goreshade with some spell assistance from Harby.  As ever though the game ended a turn earlier than I'd have liked.


Lessons Learnt -
  • Harby with a Devout is a very different beast indeed, spell barrier and ignoring the first shooting attack really reduce the likelyhood that this attempt will be made.
  • Jamming Errants are really good especially with Tough and Martyrdom to help out.
  • I need to start looking at the scenario clock as soon as it starts ticking, not just the last turn when I'm forced into action.
2016 Win/Loss record to date: 2 / 6


All in all though a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed, I've now got a nice headache of what my pairing is going to be for the tournament at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment