Monday 7 December 2015

Tournament Time!





Well yesterday was my first tournament and wow what a major eye opener that was!  I didin't come last (mainly thanks to an odd number of players and me getting an automatic win thanks to a bye).  But having never faced anything bigger than a pair of Khador heavies I ended up facing a Convergeance Colossal that kept healing itself, very bad form, lol!  Equally it could have been worse as most players had at least 1 massive based model in their lists somewhere.  There were also several double Stormwall Haley lists that I would have just cried if I'd faced.

Here's a photo from the all Legion final:

Anyway so how did it go?

Game 1 - Grand Scrutator Severius vs. Hunters Grim (Trolls)
Loss - Assassination
This was against a guy I worked with in GW many many moons ago.  So he brought Trolls and the game was really enjoyable, I was honestly surprised at how easy going the whole thing was.  He equally asked early on about my experience and then decided to play his weaker list into mine - nice guy!  After appearing to go well for the first two turns (he torched many of his own models with a scatter and didn't pass a single tough check all game) it came to turn three with pSevy hiding in a wood.  Mage sight and a Troll Bomber to the face left a small crater where Sevy had been and what turned out to be an easy win.

What I learnt - hiding in a small wood isn't neccesarily any protection at all!

Game 2 - High Exemplar Kreoss vs. Captain Damiano (Merc.)
Win - bye :-D
This game was a bit more of a glorified lesson on how to play from the local Press Ganger.  Turns out he's also a Menoth player so was giving me coaching as I went along and talking me through alternatives and what to do with each unit.  Sadly a little to much information for me to take in all at once but equally I learnt probably 4/5 things which really helped.

What I learnt - take the bye if given the option!  Were it not for this I would have got the wooden spoon.

Game 3 - High Exemplar Kreoss vs. Father Lucant (Convergeance)
Loss - Assassination
So this was the game against a colossal.  I massive eye opener and using what I learnt from the previous game about the power of Enliven actually came in handy.  However I had to much dross and not enough anti armour stuff in my selection, I made a few lucky moves but ultimately with a colossal sat in the zone there was no way i was going to win.

What I learnt - Don't take a caster who's feat is knock down against a caster who can't be knocked down.

Game 4 - Grand Scrutator Severius vs. Old Witch (Khador)
Loss - Scenario
This was the only game I played all day against another Mammoth.  Really enjoyable and was almost a win.  A bit better placement and it could have been a different story!  The ammo cache with light artillery is really good and I learnt a lot about the power of Khador infantry.

What I learnt - Her feat is awesome and stopped me for a turn, however on that turn the Gunline of Sevy left her with a single point of health.

 So all said a really good day, looking forward to doing this again at some point in the future with a bit more knowledge under my belt.

 Heres a photo from the all Legion final:

No comments:

Post a Comment